Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WCW - You Don't Give a Damn About Black History Month




Let me tell you about something that tap dances on my last coo-coo hair every year.  All these Black History Month commercials created by these companies that don't give a damn about Blackness any other time of year.  Please!  Spare me your soul-less rhetoric about Madame CJ Walker and Rosa Parks.  Your commercials and marketing campaigns centered around Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech and Jessie Owens' Olympic prowess only serve to earn my ire.  In my opinion, these adds are for nothing more than bringing more customers to your doors. Chiefly, I'm most disgusted and dismayed by McDonald's. What I am supposed to say?  Thank you McDonald's for supporting Tom Joyner's Black History moment every day?  Eff your freedom fries and your Black History Burger.   Let me tell you why...

In the disenfranchised, predominantly minority communities inhabited by those that are of low socio-economic status, franchises like McDonald's fill our bags with fries and our veins with cholesterol and plaque.  Sure we go to these establishments of our own free will but, often times that's because a cheese burger and fries is cheaper than a grilled chicken breast and a salad.  McDonald's employs our community members and pays them next to nothing and I don't see McDonald's lifting up these communities.  Yes, #PraiseMoses and #PraiseVishnu for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.  HOWEVER, keep your homage to George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington.  I am not swayed by watching footage of the March to Selma in slow motion while the Mississippi Mass Choir sings softly in the background.

Do you know what a food desert is?  A food desert is a district with little or no access to large grocery stores that offer fresh and affordable foods needed to maintain a healthy diet. Instead of such stores,these districts often contain many fast food restaurants and convenience stores.

Is this all McDonald's fault?  Hell no.  BUT...is McDonald's in the community 365...making it a better place like their marketers would have you believe?  Absolutely the hell not!  I wish we as a people would get over our addiction to foods and behaviors that are hazardous to our health.  While I'm waiting for us to overcome...I'm good on the Ba, da, ba, ba, ba...I'm Loving It Black History tributes.

You freaking jerkfaces!  Can I have fries with that shit?


4 comments:

  1. Did you just preach a sermon because I feel like the spirit is rising up in me!!! Lol and I know Mickey D's can make a Kroger or Publix in the hood event if it closes by night fall. I even more hate their commercials because they make us look like we should still be wearing black face paint. I'm just saying why black folks got to be singing to chicken nuggets and agg mcmuffin???? In the white commercials they don't sing to their food....... I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO @ Black History Burger- You speak the truth though. In general, as I've posted in the past..I'm sick of the way these companies advertise to black people in general. Fast Food Restaurants irritate me for the obvious reasons- which is why they piss you off. But, I don't need to see images of Rosa Parks, whilst Al Green plays in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you better preach about those FREEDOM FRIES! LOOL!! Love this post! And you broke it down. I have never heard of a Food Desert either. Learned something new. I like how you kept it honest and real. Whoa! You have made some great (and true) points!

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!