Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wild Card Wednesday - As Long as He's Got a Penis...

Wild Card Wednesday is my time for an "anything goes" type of post.  I may create a post about marriage, motherhood, fashion, health or anything else.  This week's post is dedicated to a bit of wisdom my mother shared with me.

I make it a point to not involve either set of in-laws in our marital affairs.  However, at times, I'll ask my mom for advice on different things about marriage.  Recently, I've been under the weather and I've been feeling less of a super mom and wife.  I actually took my cape off and I expected my husband to pick it up and do things as I would do them.  Of course that didn't happen.  I realize that was an unrealistic expectation.  When I told my mom that, she broke it all the way down!

She said:
As long as he has a penis, you're going to have to communicate what you need.  Don't ever expect him to automatically know what you want him to do.  Even if it's clearly apparent, don't expect that it's clearly apparent to him.  

She's right.  Even though I would like for him to just KNOW when to step in and help...that's not reality.  So, I gave that up and now I'm feeling better.  If there are dishes in the sink, dirty clothes in the hamper or they eat frozen food for a few days...the world is not going to end.

But...as long as he has a penis though?  I love my mama!



7 comments:

  1. LMBO! Your mom is funny! She is right though and I am constantly learning this in my relationship. I expect my boyfriend to just KNOW but so many times he doesn't. I realize more than ever that when I actually just communicate what it is I need, then he takes action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guuurrrllll. Your mama is sooooo right. I too, deal with this in my relationship. Because women by nature are nuturing creatures we can pick up on what our men need w/o necessarily having to be told. Men on the other hand need it broken all the way down. I'm careful not to nag and he appreciates me just saying what it is that I want/need rather than assuming that he can just figure it out. I usually get what I want that way!

    http://thriftyandshameless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOL! Moms always have a way of giving you a different perspective. My mom is the same way, and like yours her words of wisdom make me laugh and think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You used the word penis out loud? LOL. Great post boo. I wish they knew, instead of ignoring the obvious. Why is it okay we ladies know the obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! I love your Mom! WHY can't men just see that cape lying on the floor ready for them to pick it up?? I've given up on waiting for miracles, and these days I say out loud "I'm overwhelmed, tired, cranky, and unable to cope - I want you to vacuum, watch the kids, and make the food... and I'm going to sit on the sofa and do nothing/spend the day stamping/lie in bed reading a book" This generally works (he's surprised when it happens, but he usually steps up). I still WISH I didn't have to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Gawd I am still working on not assuming.

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!