Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Unplugging is MORE THAN Necessary...

When I arrive  at work, I immediately check my e-mail, log into Facebook, browse through Pinterest or Instagram, read about 10 blog posts, see what my fave retailers are up to, head over to CNN to catch the world news, head over to the AJC.com to catch local Atlanta news and before I know it, it's 10:30am.

I don't know about you but...that is an ineffective use of my time.  I have become addicted to social media.  When I'm not using my desktop at work, I'm on my phone or tablet, or laptop.  Honestly, most of the time, I am looking at what someone else is doing, revamping what I think I should be doing and creating a whole new list of "wants" in the process.  In order to expand my view, I'm going to have to direct my gaze away from the computer screen!

I am loosing the essence of myself while basking in the essence of others.

I really enjoy being inspired and making connections and learning.  Were it not for social media, I would have missed out on some things (and people) that have added great value to my life.  However, balance is essential - critical even.

I need time for...
*Organic Thoughts
*Unprompted Daydreaming
*Imagining
*Writing in my own hand - not Times New Roman
*Sketching
*Reading real books/magazines with dog-eared pages
*Learning things without tutorials - the old fashioned way through trial and error

I'm no fool!  I'm not going to leave social media all together but, I am going to schedule my social media time!  You don't have to be on social media all day to be informed, engaged or connected to the virtual universe.

(The graphic used in this post is not my own.  I found it on Pinterest but, did not find the artist's name).








7 comments:

  1. All truth you speak. I spend way too much time oogling the pretty of others and way too little time creating. Starting this weekend I am going to be better with my schedule - CREATE first and everything else later. I even plan to log the hours I spend making art and writing. I can't continue to call myself either - artist and writer - if I am not doing both each and every single day. THANKS for the reminder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! Logging the hours I spend designing and crafting? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your posts and this did not disappoint. I am not enamored with social media and check my facebook once per week, I am not on Twitter or Instagram but I love to read a good novel and read about 3 books per month. Never stop Daydreaming & writing. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thank you ma'am! I enjoy when you stop by! Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Reading this post, I suddenly realised why my workplace has blocked all social media, blogs, and webmail services on our internet servers. ;-) I agree, Rochelle, we need to unplug to allow ourselves time to daydream, create, and play. Then it is nice to come back and say hello again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is essential to take that time away from social media. There are days that I stay away from it so that my mind can breathe in new things. Like you said, it's hard to focus on other things when you're looking at what everyone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely need to unplug more. As a designer, it's hard to step away because I feel as if my clients need me or that I need to be consistently learning to stay on top of the game. "I am loosing the essence of myself while basking in the essence of others." I love this!

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!