Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

That's Not Appropriate: Good and Bad Hair

Today's Topic: Natural Gangstas

I have locs.  Some people call them dreads.  Some call them dread locs.  I like to call them locs because it is nothing dreaded about my hair!  I actually get quite offended when someone refers to my locs as braids.  I've taken a lot of care and time to cultivate these locs and I want them to be appropriately addressed.  I mean, you wouldn't call a Dr. a nurse would you?  Just sayin...  I dirgress...on to the topic of the day.



You know what's NOT APPROPRIATE?  These Natural Hair Gangstas!  Just because you choose to wear your hair natural doesn't give you the right to judge someone because she's rocking extensions, a weave, a perm or a wig!  How DARE you talk down to another woman because she chooses to style her hair differently?  That is the craziest thing I've heard since people robbing stores for weave!

I've heard the argument(s).  "Women that wear perms don't see their natural hair as beautiful." "Women that wear weaves are trying to immolate the European culture."  And you know what?  Some of that stuff is true.  HOWEVER, no matter how true it is, it doesn't ring true for ALL women that sport a perm or a weave!  Those are the kinds of sweeping generalizations that kept us divided over light skin and dark skin!

If you can walk on water...you can deepen my faith.  If not, then please take your shea butter worshiping  YouTube tutorial making, natural hair convention attending, pseudo militant, yellow root chewing behind somewhere and have all the seats in your nearest Rooms to Go!

Chiiiiile, of course I made a video about this #SlopSalad with a side of #ThousandWackness dressing!  Check it out!




7 comments:

  1. GIRLAH! Thank you! Somebody needed to say it. I'm so sick of it. I'm natural and I read these blogs, and look at youtube videos and i'm thinking...wow as if we need another reason to bring another sister down? I'm not defined by my damn hair. I don't care if you wear your hair bald, blue, or with fingerwaves. It's your hair, you choice to wear it the way you want. Some naturals aren't totally giving up "non natural" stuff. I see them in McDonalds eating that crap. I see them with a load of Make up ....who knows what in that...i see them not doing anything else natural except their hair. So what does that mean? I need to judge them for eating McDonalds...over Burger King...or eating it at all.

    Women need to stick together, under those heads are brains, and some of those minds have done the most amazing things for others, for themselves and accomplished a lot and it all that goes out the window because I wanted to switch it up and wear a weave then you have no business dealing with me in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I wrote the longest post ever. I decided to sum it up with one simple statement!

    Everyone is so quick to judge based on someone elses lifestyle but yet they are not doing anything to assist the person or understand the person. Long hair, short hair, permed, natural, locs or wigs. If I didn't pay for it I just don't care! I can only be worried about myself and my household.

    I also have to comment on the previous post about clean eating. Yes, talking about natural hair and being a nazi then eating fast food is a contradiction. However, if they are not a nazi but have natural hair and eat McDonalds then what??? Why are we judging people based on their food choses now? Can we assume that they can afford healthier foods because a salad is $6 when a combo is $3.

    So overall, I'm just saying whatever someone does that does not effect you and your family mind your own and hope for the best in them. I'm not a McDonald's advocate but I will dine there from time to time. But is you know me then you know I eat healthy and exercise on a regular. I have also had every hair style in the book except for locs... And I don't care what's on your head. The great thing about this green earth is the variety. I accept that! I wish everyone else would too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post. For so many reasons. I am all for women doing whatever they feel brings out the best in them. Wear your hair the way you choose to. I wore a perm for the better part of my life until I became pregnant with my daughter. I decided to "go natural" then because I didn't want to get perms while pregnant and I knew my daughter wouldn't be getting her hair relaxed. I thought it was only right for me to be natural if I was going want that for her.

    I've worn perms, weaves down my back, short permed cuts, box braids and now I rock a curly fro. You can not knock another sister for doing what she feels makes her feel beautiful. The natural hair gangstas of the world are a trip. As far as McDonald's is concerned I stopped giving them my money when they had us dancing and rapping about chicken nuggets, but that's a whole 'nother topic! I will smash some Wendy's though. To each her own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED THIS POST!! IT IS JUST HAIR!!! It sheds and regenerates and it DOES NOT DEFINE a person!! WE are the only people that do this ISH! UGH!I can't even articulate how deep I feel about this issue! Thank you you for saying it ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to address this issue on my blog but I wasn't sure if I could conjure up the right words without sounding like a complete BIATCH! Lol! So glad you said it and with such great poise! Lol! I love all hair types, so I especially dislike it when natural hair lovers feel like they "one upped me" because they decided not to put chemicals in their hair. I have a perm and quite frankly refuse to ever go natural. But that doesn't mean natural isnt beautiful to me. It's a personal preference. If I want to relive the "good and bad hair" scene from School Daze, I'll pay a $1 and rent it at Red Box! Once again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! I wear my hair natural, but at any given time I MAY through the nearest weave in my head LOL.

    I still think that straight hair is beautiful so I don't subscribe to that militant natural hair mindset!

    www.goodlooknout.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo true! Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront. Lots of these women exist while some of us are simply flower children who love big hair *Cues Minnie's Ripperton's Loving You*

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!