Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

The Beauty in Repurposing


The photo above is special to me.  It is a photo of the axle and wheels of an old train car that lives in one of our neighborhood parks.  My husband, son and I visited this park over the Summer and made some great memories.  What is special about this train car is that my son, at this point in his little life is completely enamored with trains.  So, to be able to facilitate any train experience for him is a joy to behold!

Let's take a look at this train car.


It's a beautiful piece of nostalgia.  I actually love this photo.  The colors are vivid yet tempered like a scene out of a technicolor western movie.

Looking back at this photo made me reflect on my life...I'm always reflecting.  I have reinvented myself little by little over the years.  One of the major factors that contributed to me avoiding a major personal overhaul has been fear.  Maybe I'm too old, maybe I can only do what I've been doing...etc.  When I looked at this train car I began to realize that it's not an old relic, no longer useful and incapable of contributing anything of value to the world.  It has been re-purposed.  It is now a catalyst for making little boys dreams come true.  It's a source of inspiration for a 31 year old woman.  It stands as a beautiful reminder of where technology was and where it's going.

We've all heard the countless cliches about growth.  The one that sticks out as the most prominent in my head is: "Things that do not grow - die".  Even though the train car is an inanimate object...it still grew.  Its purpose was redefined.  It was upcycled into something more meaningful than it's intended purpose.

I have dedicated myself to re-purposing.  I wasn't comfortable with what I was and I am working on growing gracefully into what I would like to be.  I'm re-purposing my degree in education - I'll teach folks how to make things.  I'm re-purposing my skills as an Administrative Assistant - I'll use my attention to detail to create the best art I can.

What part of your life do you need to re-purpose.  Who says that you have to be the same way, live the same way, eat the same way, dress the same way?  You can change and grow and thrive and recycle and upcycle - if you want to...

If you share this post on social media, use these hashtags:
#MiscGoodness
#RoseReddSaid



1 comment:

  1. I need to re-purpose ME. I am working on that as we speak. I believe I need to be more vulnerable, and open. I think I shut people out to much and I want to stop that.

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!