Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

I'm Gonna Share...You're Gonna Like It

I don't like to call my self a lifestyle blogger.  I think of myself as more of a miscellaneous blogger.  I don't want to have to talk about any one particular thing - all the time.  I'm not like that in my real life so, I don't want to even attempt to be that way in my virtual life.

Today I want to talk about my reproductive system.  And no, this isn't TMI.  I find that we women can help each other out a lot just by sharing.  Brace yourself.  This isn't going to be a post about skinny girls in white jeans frolicking down some pristine beach with pink sand!  This is some real shit. Some my back aching, my bra too tight, my hips swaying from the left to the right - type shit.

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).  I was diagnosed when I was thirteen.  However, it really didn't affect me until my mid-twenties.  I was even told that it would make conceiving a child very difficult.  So, uh, yeah...that symptom skipped me because Picard is alive and well four years later!  I had the hair growth on my face, the weight gain, the insane cycles and all that.

BUT...when I turned the big 3-0, something changed!  My ovaries were in full revolt against me!  I was taking 600mg of Ibuprofen like it was nothing.  I went to the doctor and found out that I had some large cysts.  They treated me with a high dose birth control ON TOP of my IUD so, I was acting super cray!  It worked though...for a while.  Then, I was experiencing pain again just like before.  This time, surgery was placed on the table and I jumped at that chance!  

Turns out my ovary had ruptured and attached itself to some of my innards! No wonder I was in pain!  That ovary and the Fallopian tube were removed. The good doctor even did some ovarian drilling on the remaining ovary as a preventative measure.  The surgery was done laparoscopically and now I'm recovering.  This recovery business is real!  I can just imagine how much more difficult it would have been had laparoscopy not been an option.

This ordeal went on way longer than necessary.  I ignored a lot of the symptoms because I've got a life and I didn't want to stop to pay attention to my body.  HORRIBLE mistake!  I would like to prompt you to take stock of how you're feeling because the quality of your life can improve drastically if you just take care of yourself.

9 comments:

  1. Awww! I am so glad you are alright, girl!!! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I'm so glad you had the surgery! Ouch! They make laparoscopy sound so simple, and yeah, you don't get a big scar, but the recovery takes a little longer than you expect from such little entry wounds (at least it did for me!). I hope you feel better soon, and that the drilling works to prevent the same problem on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well glad to hear that you're resting and healing.I would hate for the world to miss out on an awesome lady too long lol. I too have been trying to listen to my body more often.Thanks for sharing. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping for your speedy recovery my friend! I'm sure your husband and wonderful son are doing a great job of taking care of mommy. You do such a great job of taking care of them. Let me know if you need anything.

    Jamillah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, I am glad that you are on your way to a full recovery. It's a blessing that Picard is here like you said. God Bless ya girly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy you're all better now! My cousin has that, but I don't think it has hit as hard as yours. I'm going to share this article with her though! Thanks for sharing love! #feelbetter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're okay. It kind of hurt me to read the last paragraph. It seems that we as women do that so many times. We put things on the back burner to take care of life and everything else we have going on. I'm so glad you went when you did and that recovery is going well. Feel better Ro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh darling. I am just so glad to know that you are home recovering. I am even more elated that you and hubs have each other and Picard. I too have not listening to my body on more than one occasion and ended up under the knife. But GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time here. That was such an interesting post that I have to send the link to my Nieces. Great to know that you took your health in charge and feeling better. I will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!