Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Show Your TRUE Colors...

Today I feel yellow.  Yes, I feel in color.  What?  You don't.  Oh, see, the way my spirit is set up... (Kevin Hart reference).  I feel vibrant, sunny, full of energy, warm and bright.  So, I feel YELLOW.

Recently, I wished one of my sorority sisters (I used to be her advisor...yikes)/Facebook Friends a happy birthday.  She replied and said "I'm just loving how you've come into your own btw. Gives me something to look fwd to as I grow older."  I graciously replied to her but, my initial reaction wasn't one of appreciation.  I thought to myself, what was I before I came into my own?  What did she mean?  Then, I realized, I felt embarrassed because I wasn't being authentic and true to myself before.  That's why she could say that I've come into my own...because I have.  It's not about superficial things like my hair and my clothes, which have dramatically evolved since I met this young lady; it's about my willingness to be all the way me.



Anytime you try to be honest with yourself and the world, it comes at a cost.  People may think you're weird or off.  People may judge and make assumptions but, if you're comfortable with you...it rolls off your back and you move along. And you know what else?  You're FREE.

I'm grateful to that young lady for recognizing my growth and my true colors.  She paid me the best compliment!

What about you?  Are you being true to yourself?


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your realness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney 'Nic' JamesApril 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

    I feel like I am slowly but surely coming into my own as well. Being your authentic self can be a struggle but, SO worth it...and necessary. Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you definitely are Whitney! I see you doing your thing and it inspires me for sure!

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!