Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Ta Ta Tittites!

As I mentioned in this post, my mother has breast cancer.  My grandmother also had breast cancer and my great-grandmother had ovarian cancer.  Because of that, I had the BRCA test done.  The BRCA test (pronounced "Brack-a") is a cancer risk and genetic test that will let you know if you have the BRCA1 or BRCA 2 genetic mutations.  The most famous person to have this test is Angelina Jolie. She had a double mastectomy as a result of having the BRCA1 gene mutation.

I did not anticipate having either one of the gene mutations.  I don't know why.  I suppose I am still suffering from that invincible mentality you have in your 20's.  Once needle prick, one scary phone call, and one 2 hour consultation later, I found out that I do have the BRCA1 gene mutation.  After consulting with my medical team and my husband, I decided to have my remaining ovary removed (I had the other one removed due to complications with PCOS) as well as have a double mastectomy.  I should note that I ELECTED to have these surgeries as they dramatically lessen my chances of developing ovarian and breast cancers.  However, there were several other treatment options available to me.



I have been beside myself with upset since I learned of my mother's breast cancer diagnosis.  Finding out that I have the BRCA1 gene mutation and finding out that, that means that I am over 78% more inclined to have breast cancer and over 60% more inclined to have ovarian cancer shook me so violently on the inside.  I started to fall into depression.  I felt hopeless and cursed.

Then, I had to remember that I am not a victim!  There are so many women that are literally fighting cancer right now!  I have been given the gift of prevention!  I am empowered because I have knowledge.  I am fortunate because I have healthcare and a treatment plan.  I am lucky to have a supportive husband and family and friends that love me.

So, now, I get to go through menopause at 32.   Which sucks but, you can't develop ovarian cancer with no ovaries.   Also, my fibroids will shrivel and die...WHOOP!  I get to pick out new boobs.  They'll be perky and sit-up even when I lay on my back!  There are so many silver linings that I can't possibly focus on the clouds.

Please check your breasts.  If you have a family history of breast cancer, please inquire about the BRCA test.  There are so many options for you.  Ignorance is NOT bliss...it's a killer.




21 comments:

  1. Whitney 'Nic' JamesApril 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM

    I applaud your decision and I'm so happy that you are sharing these experiences. They'll reach the right person, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing and for the reminder to check your breasts and being knowledgeable about your family history. XO!


    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration. So proud of you. I am always here my loving friend. Despite our struggles we always have something to look forward to. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you, today's post is on Cancer Food Fighters and hubby just had surgery for colon cancer - CANCER SUCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm grateful that you're sharing the journey with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Antionette! I really appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an amazing friend and I love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Whitney! You're such a great supporter and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your strength and willingness to share and help others through your journey. You are without a doubt one of the strongest people that I know. I am honored to be your friend and I will be there every step of the way. (weather you want me to or not) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this Rochelle! I am glad you are seeing the silver lining in all of this. Kudos to you for being so transparent about something that affects so many women. I admire your strength and I am sending you a huge cyber hug for not only having to deal with this but also dealing with your mom having cancer as well. I am jealous of your new boobies though. Oh to have perfect boobies that will sit up nicely on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. C.D. Beatrice ClayApril 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM

    I just wanna hug you. I am overwhelmed for you in more ways than one. I am so so sorry to hear about your mom (and your grandma). I am so enamored by your STRENGTH and PERSPECTIVE..Amazing, awe-inspiring, miraculous, bad-assness-to-the-umpteenth-degree attitude...keep sharing your story, we need to to hear it. **Hugs and hi5s**

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Christa! I gladly accept your virtual hug and hi5! I will continue to share as well. I'm excited to share my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kimberly! I appreciate your support. Don't be jealy of my new boobs, you can live vicariously through me! LOL! #PerkyTittyCommittee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your LIFE! Thank you for being such a great friend and support system for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire you in so many ways for sharing this. It is a supreme blessing that you have knowledge and the means to become educated on your health. I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh...so brave of you to post this and share. Im feeling anxious for you but im looking sat the bright side like you are! New boobs. Heyyy now. Seriously all the best to you during this journey. Im wishing for a sucessful surgery and recovery mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your well wishes. I'm so glad that I can share this journey with you and that I have your support!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Ashley! I appreciate you girl! I truly do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG Thanks for sharing. I love your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Charlotte! That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rochelle, I missed this post. I'm glad you had the test. I'm not happy that you found out you have the BRCA1 genetic mutation. :-( I'm super glad you have the choice to take action. I laughed at your description of those new boobs sitting up by themselves. :-) My thoughts will be with you through this journey. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you are a very strong women and your posts are chalk full of positivity. You are a great mirror for positivity and I know God has worked everything out for you. He doesn't put things in your life unless you're ready and WOMAN YOU ARE READY! The world is ready for you as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!