Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fire me if you need to...My baby is sick...I'm taking PTO!

Sooooo...I'm at home.  My son is sick.  He is three and he goes to daycare.  It's a great daycare and they're very clean, knowledgeable and professional.  HOWEVER, you can't control these parents that take their SICK KIDS to school with strep throat, fevers, green mucus or freakin' Ebola virus!  I know that it's hard when you work for a living and you only have so many PTO hours or sick days available.  But, I also know that you start an epidemic in the classroom when you take your sick kid to school!

Now...I NEVER bat an eye when I have to take off work for my son.  Thus far, my company has been understanding and accommodating.  However, if they weren't, I would have to cut my losses, hit 'em with the  two up, two down (A-town style) and keep it moving.  When I had my son, my reality became that I am a MOTHER first before all else.  So, if that means I have to bag groceries at Publix...so be it. Now...I don't WANT to do that but, I realize that I have to be there for him.  I can't worry about what is happening at the office and if I'm viewed as disloyal to the company because I'll never be more loyal to a multi-million dollar corporation than to my son.


How do you feel about it?  I'm grateful for the times when my family can watch him when he's feeling ill but, I don't want to worry about my job when I need to take care of my son.  Do you struggle with this?  Don't even get me started on when I want to be there for his class parties and picture days.




4 comments:

  1. I'm there with you, Rochelle! When I had my first baby I was on a rocket in my career, working hard, moving up, doing well. Then along came this gorgeous little girl, and it all changed. My employer claimed to be flexible, but they didn't know anything about working parents. So I changed jobs, left the corporate world, and joined the government, where flexible working is completely supported. I've never regretted the move - less money (but still okay) and much more time for my kids. When my kids are sick, they are NEVER sent to school. I hope your gorgeous boy is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you! I quit a job, on the spot, because they wanted me to work late and I couldn't because I had to pick up my daughter from day care by 6. I didn't ask them to be understanding or be sympathetic, I told them couldn't work o/t when I took the job. So when they asked me to stay late one night, I politely picked up my bag & coat and told them that I quit. F'em! Babies come first! Get well 'lil man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. At the place I was working when my first son was born, I had perfect attendance for 3 years until I had him. He got sick and I called in. Mommy first! That's our life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said that honey! I don't have kids of my own but I do work for the school system and I get sooooooo irritated when parents send their kids to school with green stuff falling out of their nose and cold glued to the cracks of their eyes. It's so inconsiderate!

    http://thriftyandshameless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!