Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

He Upgraded Me...

I met him when I was 20 years old.  I was rehearsing with my band mate and he just so happened to be there.  I remember thinking to myself...self...damn he's fine! His looks weren't the big attraction though.  He was suave, smart, funny, sexy and reserved.  He was complimenting me and speaking to me in ways, I had never experienced before.  He was refreshing.


Of course he didn't look like this 11 years ago but, he has only gotten sexier with age!
  Don't look too close heffa! LOL!

 As time passed, our relationship progressed.  We eventually became husband and wife.  That journey has been indescribable.  However, if I had to describe it I'd say, it's not unlike a long distance flight - some turbulence, some discomfort but, all the while you're floating among the clouds and basking in the beauty of it all.  One of the constant factors in our lives has been that my husband continuously exposes me to new things and educates me about an array of things.  Though I'd like to pretend I've had it all together the entirety of our marriage and courtship, that just isn't the truth.  

So yeah at 24 and 10 days, I wasn't as "together" as I thought.  He helped me get there.

He has exposed me to so much. When I think about who I could have been had I not met him, I shudder. Of course, I didn't always have an appreciation for the ways in which he was educating me.  As a prideful young woman, I didn't want to seem ignorant or handicapped in any area of life.  But, I was...and in some ways, I am.  It feels good to know that he is there to provide insight, balance and another perspective.  Not gonna lie, sometimes if feels overwhelming.  

I should have probably led with the fact that we recently took a trip to California, his home state.  It's so different from what I'm used to.  Georgia is my home.  So, to see the beautiful mountains, gorgeous beaches and sprawling suburbs with endless bicycle lanes and people OUTSIDE walking, biking, jogging and enjoying each other was inspiring.  He had asked earlier in our marriage if I'd be willing to leave Atlanta and of course I replied FUCK NO!  I was vehemently opposed to relocating...which served to narrow my world view.  I'm so grateful that we took that trip.

Okay, Venice Beach blew my mind!  Just another experience he's given me that has me forever changed!

What I'm attempting to articulate is that I am a much more well-rounded person because of my husband.  I'm forever grateful too.  It took many a moon for me to be comfortable with him wanting to be in a teaching/coaching role.  I took it as him wanting to change me or judge me.  It has really served to better me.  He allows me to do the same for him as well.  I don't know that my teaching/coaching him is as impactful for him but, I know that my life is better and it's all because I was able to let go and let him upgrade me.

Do you allow your man to coach/teach you or "upgrade" you?





8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I can so relate - my hubby has taught me so much about life, as well as myself. He has made me a better me, for sure! Like you, I am so thankful. :-)

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I love the Washingtons. Where in the hell is my suvionoir. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED this post! I appreciate your honesty here and just keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! It's a beautiful thing to see a wife submit & give props to her husband. I can't wait to experience that. What I am experiencing is something great with my boyfriend & future Mr. Wish you two many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is BEAUTIFUL!! I love the way you talk about your husband teaching you and upgrading you. That's the stuff good marriages are made of. I def give my husband credit for making me into a more confident woman. He taught me that it was okay to be exactly who I am. I could never thank him enough for helping me be a better me.

    Loving your hair too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I love.. love! That was so sweet. My hubby moved to Cali from our hometown in Jersey to be here with me and I told him not to even think about asking me to move back to Jersey! So I feel ya on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Rochelle! It sounds like you've got a good one, there. :-) Yes, I allow my hubby to coach, teach, and upgrade me, and he allows me to do the same for him. We aren't aiming to change each other, just help each other to be better versions of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!