Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness BLM Girls Go PINK Blog Hop!

Hi there Rose Heads!  I'm sure that you are aware that the month of October is dedicated to breast cancer awareness.  When I was 22 years old, I lost my grandmother to complications from breast cancer.  She was always a lively and pleasantly plump woman.  At the end of her battle, I hardly recognized her.  She was frail and could barely speak.  That horrible disease stripped her of her spirit and her voice.  It was the absolute worse thing I think I've had to endure in my adult life.

Now, I KNOW that you THINK you KNOW what this disease does and who it effects.  BUT...were you aware that you don't have to be an older woman to have breast cancer?  Were you also aware that you don't have to be a female to have breast cancer? 

The PIVOTAL KEY to smashing this disease in its face is EARLY DETECTION!

  • Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
  • Clinical breast exam (CBE) about every 3 years for women in their 20s and 30s and every year for women 40 and over.
  • Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care provider. Breast self-exam (BSE) is an option for women starting in their 20s.
Some women – because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors – should be screened with MRI in addition to mammograms. (The number of women who fall into this category is small: less than 2% of all the women in the US.) Talk with your doctor about your history and whether you should have additional tests at an earlier age.

HONESTY TIME...
I wasn't going to share this but, this is too real not to.  Earlier this year, I had a lump under my left arm.  At first, I thought it was an ingrown hair.  Then, I thought maybe it's a boil.  I tried squeezing it, not wearing deodorant and down home, southern remedies as well.  At long last, I couldn't take it anymore.  I went to the doctor and they were "concerned" which made me concerned as hell!  I went to Northside hospital's radiation department (here in metro Atlanta) for an ultra sound.  The tech performed the diagnostic test and immediately left the room.  I was sitting there, booty out (in one of those damn backless gowns), feet swinging off the "bed" and half scared out of my mind!  I kept thinking of all the good times with my family that I would miss if I "didn't make it".  All the silly arguments I had with my husband.  All the time I wasted harboring hateful feelings toward people... Then, she returned with a DOCTOR!  I almost sharted on myself. In my mind, his presence alone meant a death sentence. 

He explained that my body was fighting off an infection and my lymph node was swollen but...healthy.  He told me that eventually it would return to it's normal size.  He commended me for coming in and taking action because had it been breast cancer related, early detection would have made all the difference.

I walked away feeling relieved and stupid for jumping to so many conclusions.  Then, I felt selfish and ridiculous because there are so many women out there fighting for their lives.  Fighting in that very same hospital where I delivered my son and where I was relieved to learn I didn't have breast cancer. 

I tell that story for no other reason than to encourage you to educate yourself and those you love about how to check their breasts.  Also to encourage you to stress how important early detection is.  I know my grandmother didn't learn about her illness until she felt sick...that's too late.  Maybe she could have met her great grandchild had she gone for her regularly scheduled mammograms and checked her breasts herself.

Now, the BLM Girls Go Pink Blog Hop will be on until October 31st!

If you want to participate here is what you need to do:
  • Link up your Breast Cancer Awareness post. Click here to link your blog post. 
  • Stop by the blogs listed in the linky and follow and show love.
  • This is also a way to start following some new bloggers and networking so, take this time to hook up on all the good social media outlets like FB, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
  • If you talk about this on any of the social media outlets use the hashtag #BLMgirlsgopink
Here is a list of all the FAB co-hosts of this hop!  Please stop by their blogs and show them some PINK LOVE!

 Ty

10 comments:

  1. "Smash the disease in its face"! I love that saying. Happy Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks for sharing the scare you had and I am glad that you are ok!

    http://www.foreveryoungnfab.com/2012/10/blmgirls-go-pink.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I had an experience JUST like yours! Mine was a boil though, and on my breast. I was crying and panicking like a baby! I made an EMERGENCY appointment with my OB-GYN for the next day. He squeezed it and of course that thing burst...I was sooo embarassed. He told me..."Don't be. It happens all the time" He says what mattered the most is that I found it through BSE and if it was the worst case scenario, I would have a fighting chance! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everything turned out ok, but I'm cracking up that you almost "sharted" yourself. Love the post and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm so glad everything turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so scary. I went through something similar. I'm glad it was a false alarm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost my favorite aunt to breast cancer about 6 years ago. Breast Cancer is a horrible disease. So glad you took your health serious and so glad you came away with a clean bill of health!!!!!!!!!!!

    #ATLANTA #BLMgirls Blog Hop
    www.prettygirlsrockdresses.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, touching, and informative. Great post. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to thank you for bringing awareness among people about about breast cancer. It is sad to know about your grandmother death due to cancer.

    ReplyDelete

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!