Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cabinet Soup...Not soup from the can!

What's going on lovely Rose Heads!  Now that it's getting a little chilly, I found myself in need of some comfort...comfort food that is!  Everyone knows there is nothing quite as soothing as a hearty soup!  Now, I don't eat meat so, if you're looking for a chicken, beef, oink-oink soup...not gonna find it here! LOL!  BUT...I did make an awesome veggie soup from ingredients that I had just laying around the kitchen.

Ingredients List:
3 medium sized potatoes (I left the skin on two of them)
1 bag of frozen corn
1 bag of frozen green beans
1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 can of black beans
1 can of butter beans
1 can of diced tomatoes

Seasonings:
Maggi Chicken Bouillon (Instant)
Curry Powder
Basil
Garlic Powder
Wiley's Bean and Pea Seasoning

Okay now, y'all don't hold me to any measurements!  I don't measure anything.  I'm going to use language like:  a dash, a pinch, a lot, a little, about a (insert word here) and kinda.  I'm sorry y'all.  I'm not a recipe cook.  I cook from the heart and that's about it.

Okay so, I used my double boiler (without the double) and filled it a quarter of the way full of water.


Next I added the seasoning to make a broth. Because remember, I wasn't going to the store.  This soup was made solely out of things I had already.  I added about an actual tea spoon worth of  Maggi Chicken Bouillon.  I added about four dashes of garlic powder.  Four dashes of Curry powder and two dashes of Basil.


As you can see below, that created a nice broth.  You have to adjust seasonings according to personal taste.  I cooked that on medium heat for about 5 minutes. 



 
Next, I washed and cut three medium sized potatoes.  I left the skin on two because I love the taste. I don't think it's a deal breaker if you skin them all.


Next, I added the potatoes, green beans and corn into the broth.  I left them to cook for about 15 minutes.



After I let the potatoes, green beans and corn cook, I added the tomatoes (don't drain them), the black beans (don't drain them), the garbanzo and butter beans (DRAIN them)! 
  


This is how it should all look when you're done with that step.


Your final step would be to add in a packet of Wiley's Beans & Peas Seasoning!  My mother in love turned me on to this stuff and it is GOOD IN MY SOUL!  Woah lord!


Alright Rose Heads!  Take this Hodge podge of a recipe and do your thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!