Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why Being GREEK was Sooo Important to me!

When I was a little girl and my mom and her friends or our family members would have a talk about Greek organizations (meaning NPHC Greeks), they always mentioned Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta.  They would talk about the normal stereotypes like AKA's are all pretty and sophisticated and DST's are all more outgoing and bold. We all know that there are no stereotypes but, I just wanted to touch on the fact that they exist. It wasn't until I got ready to go to college that I even realized Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Gamma Rho even existed!  I mean, I don't think I even saw any ZPB or SGRho paraphernalia on people or their cars and if I did...I didn't know what it was.

My grandmother belonged to several civic and cultural organizations and she would take me with her to their meetings and events whenever I visited her in Birmingham, AL.  I loved it!  Those ladies were classy, sassy, involved, creative and polished.  They learned new things together.  They served their communities and they had an air of class and sophistication about them that made me want to "be just like them" when I grew up.

When I got to college, I was enamored by the line jackets, the popularity and the allure of being a member of the Black Greek community.  I was largely ignorant of the process so, I attended a SGRho mixer and even performed in a DST Talent Show (had no clue it was really for interested ladies...lol).  In the meanwhile, I became active on campus with the NAACP and set my sights on uplifting my people!  In my mind, I was channeling my inner Granny.  I had researched ZPB and had set my sights on them.  I attended a "Kitty Cat Chat" and fell in love with the unique bond the ladies had.  I was determined to be included.  Determined to be a part.

Well...we all know what they say about the best laid plans!  I was invited to pledge...didn't have the money.  Ended up getting into a big fight with some of the ladies over a whole bunch of random stuff and that was that...

In 2008 I was looking for a group to be involved with.  I couldn't become a Zeta because I hadn't earned my Bachelor's Degree yet.  Even though I was going to school on-line, turns out you can't go through the intake process unless you're at a brick and mortar University.  While searching online, I found Gamma Phi Delta.  GPD is a business and professional sorority started by two sisters that wanted to give women that were business professionals, had associates degrees, etc. to have a chance to be part of a Greek Lettered organization.  I was impressed by that.  I joined GPD and I felt empowered, I felt a part of something and I felt proud.  I was an undergrad advisor but, I wasn't a good one because I was too harsh...too emotionally involved and too much of a stickler for the rules.  I fell out with most of the ladies in my chapter for an assortment of reasons and I became inactive.  I even tried to start my own chapter because I didn't like the way the established one was being run.  Let me say though...I gained some VALUABLE friendships out of that experience.



But now, years later...I thought about WHY being Greek, more specifically a NPHC Greek was so important to me.

I think Greek life symbolized acceptance and being included no matter what.  I loved the pageantry, the history and the prowess that came along with those letters.  I thought it would validate me and in some ways legitimize me to peers. 

I respect those organizations. I love what they stand for and I appreciate where they're trying to go.

 If I'm going to wear some letters again, it's going to be because I'm strong enough to represent what the founders intended and I'm ready to WORK; not because I'm so weak that the letters make me into something and someone that I don't like when I look in the mirror.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!