Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday Random: The Claire Huxtable Affect

Sup Roseheads?  I know like me, many of you were glued to your television sets when the Cosby show was on back in the day.  Hell, you may even be glued to them right now to watch the Cosbys in syndication.  While I enjoyed the antics of Rudy, Theo, Vanessa, Denise and Sondra, it was Claire Huxtable, the matriarch of the family that I connected with.  She was not unlike my own mother educated, driven, witty, savvy, fashionable, fierce and one hell of a wife and mama! 


When I think of what I want to be as a mother and an all around renaissance woman, I think of Claire.  She was the consummate professional, ultimate mother and ever loving and supportive wife.  I remember feeling like she was so TOGETHER.  My own mother created that facade too.  It seemed effortless for them.  Navigating the turbulent waters of womanhood all while looking and behaving like a Queen with a deeply rooted royal lineage.  I say facade because that is so far from my reality. 


(SN:  Those necklaces are thrifted!  I love them so much!)

I struggle to dress nicely - I'm so on a budget and so over my weight.
I'm an Admin for an Architecture firm.  I'm finishing an education degree that I don't want to use.
I want to be creative in our home and for a living.  You know how much energy that takes?
BUT...

That damn Claire Huxtable creeps into my mind and I'm reminded that she's a fictional character.  I'm real (I have the stretch marks to prove it).   I've got this.  I'm handling my life with the grace and elegance of woman inspired by her family and her surroundings, motivated by her drive to keep her family happy and propelled by goals and dreams. 

After all, isn't that what Claire was meant to do?  Inspire.  Motivate.  Captivate. 

I am not Claire.  I'm Rochelle.  And, I am grateful for the Claire Huxtable Affect.


2 comments:

We all know what Rose Redd Said BUT...it's what YOU say that matters!